Female Sexual Dysfunction (FSD) is a prevalent problem, afflicting approximately 40% of women today.
Common symptoms associated with FSD include
- Diminished vaginal lubrication,
- Pain and discomfort during intercourse,
- Decreased sense of arousal, and
- Difficulty achieving orgasm.
We want to make the
about sexual dysfunction in women to be open and informative
At Harbor Compounding Pharmacy, we want to make the conversation about sexual dysfunction in women to be open and informative. Most women consider diminished sexual health as normal, and because they also feel discomfort and embarrassment in discussing these issues with their doctors, a majority of cases go unresolved. This means that a large percentage of women go through the entirety of their lives with a reduced quality of life as has been shown in postmenopausal women.
At Harbor Compounding Pharmacy, we have invested in ample research and laboratory testing, witnessed positive outcomes, and received testimonials from doctors and hundreds of patients regarding our sexual health products. Our goal as an innovator in the field of women’s health is not only to lead the research and development of new products, but also to educate and guide our patients and prescribers in providing customized treatment options that may not be available commercially.
We understand that everyone wants answers but sometimes we don’t know where to find them. Let us help you. Call us and speak with our expert pharmacists to find solutions that are right for you and your patients.
Oxytocin increases the
of orgasm and contentment
after sexual intercourse.
Oxytocin administration increases the intensity of orgasm and contentment after sexual intercourse⁷. Overall scores in Female Sexual Distress Scale (FSDS) improve. Most women also report a significant enhancement of their sexual lives and improvement in depression scores.
Strengths: 8IU/spray, 16IU/spray
Dosing: 1 to 2 sprays daily, and 1 hour before sexual intercourse
OXYTOCIN SL tablets
Strength: 50 IU
Dosing: 1 to 2 tablets SL QD
Compounded in a
mucoadhesive formulation that improves contact with nasal mucous membranes and therefore optimizing absorption rates.
dosing: 1 to 3 sprays QD,
2 to 8 hours before planned sexual event
Intranasal testosterone was studied for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) and Female Orgasmic Disorder (FOD) in a Phase II clinical trial of 59 patients. Of the patients diagnosed with FOD and treated with intranasal testosterone, 40% of the treatment group reported experiencing an orgasm or sensations indicative of an orgasm. Women treated with intranasal testosterone reported more intense feelings of sexual arousal after stimulation and showed an increased genital response10. Patients treated with intranasal testosterone had significantly higher vaginal pulse amplitude (VPA) response as soon as 30 minutes following administration in FOD patients.
Treatment with testosterone
and sildenafil increased
sexual satisfaction by
relative to placebo.
TESTOSTERONE + SILDENAFIL
strength: testosterone 0.5mg +
dosing: 1 troche SL QD before sex
In many women, particularly those with HSDD, the effects of testosterone alone may not be sufficient for reaching necessary levels of arousal and desire for sexual activity. Testosterone combined with sildenafil was studied for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) and Female Sexual Arousal Disorder (FSAD) in a Phase II clinical trial of approximately 120 patients. In women with relative insensitivity to sexual cues, treatment with testosterone and sildenafil increased sexual satisfaction by 22% relative to placebo.
With vaginal DHEA,
improvement in lubrication
DHEA vaginal cream
dosing: Apply 1 ml PV QD
for 14 days, then decrease dose
to 2 to 3 times a week thereafter
DHEA’s proposed mechanism of action involves local formation of sex steroids in the peripheral tissues without significant release of estradiol or testosterone systemically. Intravaginal DHEA stimulates local formation of testosterone in the vagina, therefore inducing an increase in local nerve density
An analysis of 114 postmenopausal women with dyspareunia showed a significant decrease in the severity of sexual pain score compared to placebo. Patients treated with vaginal DHEA cream also experienced significant improvements in sexual desire scores, 68% improvement in sexual arousal, 39% improvement in lubrication, and a 75% improvement in ability to achieve orgasm.
Treatment must be
to the sexual dysfunction
diagnosis and to underlying
and relationship factors.
- Naumova, I. & Castelo-Branco, C. (2018). Current treatment options for postmenopausal vaginal atrophy. International Journal of Women’s Health. Volume 10: 387–395.
- Allahdadi KJ, Tostes RC, Webb RC. Female sexual dysfunction: therapeutic options and experimental challenges. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem. 2009 Oct;7(4):260-9.
- Warnock JJ. Female hypoactive sexual desire disorder: epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment. CNS Drugs. 2002;16(11):745-53.
- Sprout Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Addyi (flibanserin) [package insert]. U.S. Food and Drug Administration website https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/022526lbl.pdf
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Vyleesi (bremelanotide) [package insert]. U.S. Food and Drug Administration website https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/210557s000lbl.pdf
- Food and Drug Administration. (2019, June 21) FDA approves new treatment for hypoactive sexual desire disorder in premenopausal women [News release]. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press- announcements/fda-approves-new-treatment-hypoactive-sexual-desire-disorder-premenopausal-women
- English, C., Muhleisen, A., & Rey, J. A. (2017). Flibanserin (Addyi): The First FDA-Approved Treatment for Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder in Premenopausal Women. P & T : a peer-reviewed journal for formulary management, 42(4), 237–241.
- Behnia, B., Heinrichs, M., Bergmann, W., Jung, S., Germann, J., Schedlowski, M. et al. Differential effects of intranasal oxytocin on sexual experiences and partner interactions in couples. Horm Behav. 2014; 65: 308–318
- Muin, D.A., Wolzt, M., Marculescu, R., Sheikh Rezaei, S., Salama, M., Fuchs, C. et al. Effect of long-term intranasal oxytocin on sexual dysfunction in premenopausal and postmenopausal women: a randomized trial. Fertil Steril. 2015; 104: 715–723.e4
- Muin, D.A., Wolzt, M., Rezaei, S.S., Tremmel-Scheinost, M., Salama, M., Fuchs, C. et al. Effect of sexual diary keeping and self-evaluation on female sexual function and depression: a pilot study. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2016; 21: 141–149
- Laan E, Nievaard M, Tkachenko N, et al. Randomized, placebo controlled, five-arm parallel group study to assess efficacy of TBS-2 intranasal gel using vibrotactile stimulation combined with visual sexual stimulation in women in anorgasmia. J Sex Med 2013;10:165-6
- van Gorsel H, Laan E, Tkachenko N, et al. Pharmacokinetics andpharmacodynamic efficacy of testosterone intranasal gel in women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder and anorgasmia. J Sex Med 2012
- Bloemers J, van Rooij K, Poels S, et al. Toward personalized sexual medicine (part 1): integrating the “dual control model” into differential drug treatments for hypoactive sexual desire disorder and female sexual arousal disorder. J Sex Med 2013;10(3):791-809
- Poels S, Bloemers J, van Rooij K, Goldstein I, Gerritsen J, van Ham D, van Mameren F, Chivers M, Everaerd W, Koppeschaar H, Olivier B, Tuiten A. Toward personalized sexual medicine (part 2): testosterone combined with a PDE5 inhibitor increases sexual satisfaction in women with HSDD and FSAD, and a low sensitive system for sexual cues. J Sex Med. 2013 Mar;10(3):810-23.
- Labrie F, Archer D, Bouchard C, et al. Intravaginal dehydroepiandrosterone (prasterone), a highly efficient treatment of dyspareunia. Climacteric 2011;14:282-8
- Labrie F, Archer D, Bouchard C, et al. Effect of intravaginal dehydroepiandrosterone (prasterone) on libido and sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women. Menopause 2009;15(5):923-31
Harbor Science, powered by Harbor Compounding Pharmacy generates only high quality, efficacious formulations, researched and developed for enhanced drug delivery and optimal results. To learn more about the Harbor Science product line, go to
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.